Wednesday 14 July 2010

AAI- Alternatively Alternative


AAI - An Alternative Indie Club...
Aurally Atmospheric Indie
Abandoned Abased Indie
Abnormal Abolished Indie
Abound Above Indie
Abrasive Absolute Indie

However you wish to abbreviate it, all of the above rings true. Its variety of descriptions tells you just how much this club has to offer, and then some...

In my eternal search to find a sim that will 1. Please my musical appetite and 2. Make me feel warm, welcome and part of a little family was quickly realized here at AAI.

Upon my entrance I was immediately greeted by a Dalek. I was to be scanned before given an all clear to proceed. My initial thought was that I had accidentally stumbled upon some kind of Sci-fi convention, but to my relief I quickly noticed the dancefloor and music that instantaneously pleased my ears.

I was warmly welcomed by the Dalek and those inhabiting the dancefloor to come on in and make myself at home, which I duly did.

I immediately took to the feel of the club. The dancefloor dominates the small space, but it is close, dark, comfortable and cozy. With a small but very atmospheric vibe, the clubs interior suits the sound it plays-Underground.
The dark dance floor is perfectly framed by purple retro style furniture which makes for an excellent chill out zone with a bright lime green backdrop.

Once on the dance floor, and with the dance machine options open, I was ready to take in the collection of music on offer.

Indie, Mod, Rock 'n' Roll, Punk, Classics Alternative Anthems, the list of styles goes on. It almost meanders through the club, touching everyones flavor of taste at some point or another. I will be honest and say quite a good few of songs I had never heard before, but this left me thinking to myself 'Why haven't I heard these songs before??'

My answer was to keep on dancing, taking in every single note played and recognizing that music goes far beyond Pop charts and MTV.

I was invited to return the next night as they had a DJ playing a full set. The Dalek that gave me a thorough scanning before was to be the DJ or as he is more commonly known, Graz Firecaster.
Graz, a DJ and one of the managers of AAI took to the decks the next night. I was armed with a few requests which were not only fulfilled but appreciated. The regular crowd attended and welcomed me and a few other new people warmly.

There is a very open-minded ambience that transpires through the music and the regulars. It puts you in a comfort zone which sooths you and allows you to be yourself and to enjoy and participate in the humor of the natives. It is more than clear that enjoyment, appreciation and humor are key elements in the make up of AAI.

I stayed for a good two hours. I laughed, I listen to songs I knew and loved, I listened to songs that I had never heard before but will again as they are now in my collection on I-tunes. What's more, I made a good number of friends who I can share this experience with time and time again.

There is more to this club then what meets the eye. Just to the side of the chill-out zone is an amber tunnel leading up. At the other end is another little chill out area which also has a few free gifts.

But that's not it, the clubs Piste de resistance lays adjacent to the Amber tunnel. A teleportation allows you into 'The secret garden'.

Here, a beautiful, meadow-esque setting can be found. It's plush green carpet of long grass has splashes of vibrant colors from the array of flowers and leaves on the trees. Here is a decked dancefloor which offers slowdances to the music that can still be heard from below. An ancient style bandstand, a tent with a campfire, a tree swing all make together for a very romantic alternative, especially if the sun is about to set.

All this adds to the layers of emotion and ways in which to enjoy the AAI experience.

I returned to AAI a few days later. It was during the day and I met a lady sitting alone in the downstairs chill-out area. I asked her if she was okay and new to the club. She told me that she had just recently found this place and that she loved the atmosphere and musical vibe on display. She went on to tell me that she and a guy had spent 3 hours talking getting to know each other and enjoying one another's company. Despite the fact the club was closed that night, it was a memorable night for them both. So I asked if she knew about 'The secret garden'. She and her new friend didn't get that far so I offered her a little tour.

To say she was impressed is an understatement. To her surprise the overall AAI experience had been extended to even more beauty and tranquility. She vowed to return with her new friend on a night when the club was open and in full swing.

It's more than fair to say AAI has the most wonderful effect on people who find their way to the door. Whether you are confronted and scanned by a Dalek or hanging out with a new friend, AAI makes you want to savor all that it has to offer and keep you coming back for more.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Clockwork/153/24/299

5 comments:

  1. That's really nice Pixie, thank you. It's exactly the ambiance we wanted to create for those coming along to the club and I am pleased you came and that you wrote this lovely piece. Meri xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh by the way, I have linked to it from my own blog - mericat-ireland.blogspot.com, if you want to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, Meri! It was a pleasure to write :) I have added your blog to the 'Must read blogs' section.

    Pixie xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Throughly agree with Pixie's review of AAI - i'm now a confirmed regular, thanks to the friendliness i've experienced there and a great atmosphere. Oh, and my music collection has grown too!

    L. x

    ReplyDelete